The first grade in my school (all three classes) was fortunate to have pumpkins for each child donated this year. WOW! I had always wanted to make pumpkin globes, so this was my chance. It was definitely a project! I was very careful and knew it would be important to test each step ahead of time. Also, my two grade one team members and I put our heads together to come up with a variety of solutions when we ran into trouble with this project. The result is these fool proof directions for you to enjoy. They look fantastic, so save this blog post for next season.
First the pumpkins got cleaned with a bleach wipe. After they dried, we used a small sponge to dab on acrylic blue paint. Water based paint will not stick to the pumpkin. We even did the bottoms of the pumpkins and lay them back right on the newspaper. I placed the paint in cleaned meat trays for easy disposal. Also, each desk was covered with a sheet of newspaper.
Here are the pumpkins set out to dry on my kidney table. The children thought they looked like Smurfs... so true. After they were fully dried, I sprayed the pumpkins with a clear, acrylic spray. Make sure it is low odor! Also, I used the gloss can because I wanted the pumpkins to shine. I let the pumpkins dry and resprayed them two more times (see below). For about 20 pumpkins, I bought two cans and had plenty left over.
In the meantime, I conducted a few geography mini-lessons. My goal was to introduce my students to the following points.
•Maps and globes show our planet in different ways
•Our planet has more water than land
•There are 7 main continents
•There are 4 main oceans
•Being a cartographer (map and globe maker) means being as accurate as possible.
I used these catchy poems by Evan-Moor. They came from an old big book of poems. I tried to find the item, but I don't think it's made anymore.
Next, students colored a set of labels for the continents green. You see them in the photograph above. I printed these out from a geography blackline I had. I printed them on full page labels made by Avery. The box said they worked in copiers. After that, the students cut out the labels and stuck them on. We did this together, label by label. I had plenty of maps and blow up globes around. I also used Google Earth on my ENO board. If you have not checked that out yet, let me say WOW! I was able to spin the globe around and zoom in and out. Click HERE to download this.
Before the labels were put on, I had a helpful parent cut out leaves out of foam board and write each child's name on them for me. I punched a hole in the leaf and tied it on with two shades of green curly ribbon to look like vines.
Here is the finished project. I love these!
Simply click HERE to printout a free set of the globe poems and directions for making this terrific project. Happy Haunting to All!