Image Map

Mr. Giso's Ways to Learn At Home #3

What's a Memory?  Read Aloud and Scavenger Hunt

Good afternoon, all.  I'm hoping that you have had a happy and healthy weekend.  I've been enjoying all the email I've been getting.  It really puts me in a good mood to keep hearing from students old and new.  A lot of you want to know what I've been doing, since I can't be with you each day.  Teachers are still very busy having lots of video conferences with each other.  We are planning activities to send out and making sure we are reaching out to you.  In addition to that, I have been doing lots of cooking, cleaning and extra long walks with Velma and Winston.  Here is what I made for dinner yesterday--chicken piccata.  Well, it was actually "turkey" piccata because there was no chicken left in the supermarket.  Yummy!


Here is what cleaning in my living room was like this weekend.  I took off the couch cushions, vacuumed them, washed my comfy blankets and dusted lots of things.  Thank you mom and dad who helped buy me my favorite, orange (of course) couch.


Also, here is Velma and Winston on a walk.  They are doing what they do best.  Smelling. EVERYTHING.  Every. Chance. They. GET! I'm over the smelling, but am being patient because that's how they learn about their worlds.


Lots of you enjoyed my reading to you on Facebook, so I have another read aloud and an activity you can do at home.  The book is written by Mem Fox and illustrated by Julie Vivas. Mem Fox is a professor who teaches children's literature (just like me).  She's from Australia (not like me).  Watch me read aloud her book Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge.  You can do that by clicking HERE.

 
After listening to the book, you can go around your house and hunt for things that spark your memory.  I prepared a list of things to gather around your home, just like Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge did to help Miss Nancy Alison Delacourt's memory.  You can use the picture below for your hunt or get a print out of the hunt by clicking HERE.  Special shout out to Mr. Gonzalez @teaching3rdwithmrg on Instagram for the idea of sharing memories that made me think of this book.  Have fun searching for memories!  Let me know what you come up with.  You can even put in a comment here, below this post.  There is a free spot on the hunt, so maybe you can challenge someone to get three in-a-row with you?


Write in a Daily Journal after Reading

Mr. Giso's Journal Idea #3

After reading listening to Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge, write down what you would say if you had to teach someone younger than you what a "memory" is.  How would you do it?  What would you say?  Any examples you would want to include?


Print out my "Journal Pages" by clicking HERE if you'd like to have some paper.  There's a spot for an illustration, too.  Let's have a great week.  I'm going to work some mathematics things you can do and a race you can have at home to teach you about evaporation.  Stay tuned...


1 comment: